K - Sea Kayaking / SKGABC Certification
A 135 Hour Course, within our 1005 Hour Program!
This class introduces students to the world of sea kayaking and guiding. Students will start off in the calm bay at the college, learning basics, and then will progress to rougher waters as the skills required to be safe in varying conditions become consolidated. They will learn a variety of different strokes, rescue techniques and will be given opportunities to practice leading a group. Students will also be given the chance to experiment with a variety of different kayak and paddle shapes to find out what best suits them. Once they are ready, students will have a chance to practice leading a group for a full day, where they will have to display good route choices, group management and deal with a variety of scenarios
- Basic and advanced strokes
- Wet Exits
- Rescue techniques
How to guide a kayaking tour
Upon completing this course, students will be able to:
- Show a forward stroke, backward strokes, draw stroke, high brace, low brace and brace turns
- Demonstrate a variety of partner and self rescue techniques appropriate to various conditions
- Be confident in a variety of different conditions
- Comfortably be able to maintain a speed of 3 knots or more
This course is preparation for the SKGABC Day Guide exams in the second term.
Start YOUR adventure! - Apply Online!
The quickest and easiest way to apply for enrollment with Westcoast Adventure College is on-line. In as few as 10 minutes you can be on your way to starting an exciting and meaningful career!