LC - Leadership and Communication
A 40 Hour Course, within our 1005 Hour Program!
In this course we will examine the communication process and how this is based on cultural background, age, experience, learning environment, and the activity, and attitudes, beliefs, behaviours and barriers to learning that may be present.
The coursework focuses on the qualitative aspects of leadership through explorations in communication, cooperation, team building, problem solving and conflict resolution. Experimenting in the role of leader and follower will help the student gain a true understanding of how groups form, interact and work through a process to reach a goal.
During the course, students will research, experiment in and develop communication, leadership and followership understanding and skills, allied to working applications.
- Methods of Communication
- What are filters
- Attributes of an effective leader
- The 4 styles of Leadership
- What leadership is suitable at what time
- Study of various historical leaders
- How to do interpretation
- Tilden’s Principles of interpretation
- Methods of delivery
- Different learning styles
- Cultural differences in expectation and attitude to leaders
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the communications process
- Display listening skills
- Analyse communication within groups
- Describe roles within groups
- Demonstrate effective public speaking
- Participate effectively in briefing and debriefing
- Understand perception and self-awareness
- Demonstrate verbal and non-verbal communication
- Describe leadership attributes and styles
- Demonstrate a variety of leadership styles
- Understand cultural similarities and differences
- Understand group development and facilitation
- Understand fear and its’ effects on perception and reaction
- Describe the difference between judgment and intuition
Speak to the class for 2 minutes on a topic of your own choice. Prepare the script, but deliver the presentation from memory. You may use visual aids, but not prompts.
Research a well known leader and analyze the characteristics of his/her style of leadership. Describe any flaws/weaknesses of this style of leadership.
Describe the positive attributes and strengths of this style of leadership.
Present your leader to the group in a 10 minute presentation.
Final Exam:Evaluation Profile
Research Paper: 20%
Presentation 2 30%
Final Exam 40%
A+ 95 – 100% B+ 80 – 84% C+ 65 – 69% D 50 – 59% A 90 – 94% B 75 – 79% C 60 – 64% F less than 50% A- 85 – 89% B- 70 - 74% C- 60 – 64% I Incomplete
Start YOUR adventure! - Apply Online!
The quickest and easiest way to apply for enrollment with Westcoast Adventure College is on-line. In as few as 10 minutes you can be on your way to starting an exciting and meaningful career!