School District 61 Summer Program
Grade 11 & 12 students (12 seats available, so apply now!)
SD61 and West Coast Adventure College (WCAC) are working in partnership to deliver a program providing a blend of classroom-based instruction, outdoor activities, skill development, and work experience.
During the first four weeks, the program will provide students with the opportunity to develop knowledge and understanding in wilderness first aid, navigation, leadership & communication skills, risk management, trip planning and survival skills. The remaining four weeks of the program will involve students being placed with adventure tourism-related companies located throughout the Victoria area to gain invaluable knowledge of the current industry and secure connections with local employers.
Students will get 8 high school credits:
- Adventure Tourism 12 (BA)
- Work Experience 12A
Classroom instruction will be taught out of Uplands Campus, with outdoor activities being held within local parks and trails throughout Victoria.
- Students and parents can talk with their school career coordinator/ counselor
- Students are expected to:
- Attend all classes and be punctual
- Be respectful of all teachers and staff
- Attend their entire work experience placement
Withdrawal Process: If for any reason the student is unable to finish the program, the teacher and program supervisor must be notified in writing immediately.
How To Apply
- Obtain an application package from your school career coordinator
- Return the completed application package to your school career coordinator
- Students will be accepted based on application, interview, and date of application received
- Work experience placements will be provided contingent on the student’s performance within the first half of the program
- Where applicants exceed availability, a waitlist may be established.
Phil Foster, Derek Sterling, Scott Mair, Brianna Coates & Krista Gooderham
If you require further information, please talk with your school career coordinator or call Lindsay Johnson, Careers & Transitions, at 250-475-4182.