WAC Career Fair
Our representatives from Westcoast Adventure College attended the SJ Willis Career fair on Wednesday in Victoria, BC! It was a great chance to interact with local…
Humpback whales are amazing for many reasons! Did you know some of the following facts?
1. The humpback whale’s most distinctive physical feature are their long pectoral fins, which average one third of the whale’s total body length. This can be up to more than 15 feet!
2. They are famous for the enigmatic and haunting song of the humpback whale, the most sophisticated song in the animal kingdom, so loud and powerful it shakes swimmers to the bone when they are immersed in the music. The complexity of these songs suggests the whales are extremely intelligent creatures.
3. Humpback whales breathe voluntarily, unlike human beings. Since they have to remember to breathe, researchers believe humpback whales sleep by shutting off half of their brain at a time.
4. Reaching between 40 and 50 feet in length, a humpback whale can weigh up to 48 tons.
5. These whales are famous for the water acrobatics. Humpback whales can frequently be seen leaping out of the water and sometimes can use their flukes to propel themselves completely out of the ocean.
6. Humpback whales were first protected as endangered animals in 1966. Currently, it is believed 30,000 to 40,000 humpback whales are left or about 30 percent of their original population.