Student Photo Contest!
When designing our new website we decided that we wanted photos to play a large part in the re-design! We want future students to know exactly…
1) Killer whales, also called “orcas,” are the largest of the dolphins.
2) Killer whales can weigh up to six tons.
3) Killer whales can grow to be 23 to 32 feet long, almost as long as a bus.
4) Killer whales have 40 to 50 teeth that are up to four inches long.
5) The average life span of a killer whale in the wild is 50 to 80 years old.
6) Killer whales are found in all of the oceans of the world.
Check out the link to see a dramatic video of a pod of killer whales hunting sea lions near Prince Rupert, B.C., recorded by a sportfisherman is catching the attention of online viewers.
To learn more about these amazing animals check out natural geographic’s info sheet on Killer Whales: